20 November 2005

Based on a True Story

Recently, I overheard someone say, "That's not being illogical. That's just being flexible."

So, when my friend Bill told me, "You're the most flexible-minded person I know," I had to ask what he meant by that.

He said, you're making artwork and then blogging about non-fiction.

You're making visual artwork, but talking about the principles of a different artistic discipline.

Is Picasso's Guernica non-fiction?

Is it fiction to hang up a picture?

After thinking about this (as best I could since we'd had several beers before initiating this conversation), I told him that maybe I wasn't communicating clearly.

I don't want to get rid of fiction (or TVs) because amazing fiction (and smart TV programs) exist.

It's just that sometimes fiction feels too vicarious, too passive and too formulaic.

I'm trying to describe my urge to search for a less vicarious experience, something more engaging and less predictable.

Guernica is based on a true story and hanging up a picture is great ... but sometimes going out and TAKING the picture is more interesting.

Technorati tag:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home