10 November 2005

Nonfiction Captures Today's Complexities

My friend Kate sent me a link to the article called "The Irascible Prophet: V. S. Naipaul at Home" written by Rachel Donadio in the 7 August 2005 of the New York Times.

She sent it to me because the article has Sir Vidiadhar Surajprasad Naipaul, Britain's only living Nobel Laureate (2001) in literature, saying that the novel was dead and "only nonfiction could capture the complexities of today's world."

He said,
"What I felt was, if you spend your life just writing fiction, you are going to falsify your material ... and the fictional form was going to force you to do things with the material, to dramatize it in a certain way.

I thought nonfiction gave one a chance to explore the world, the other world, the world that one didn't know fully."
Technorati tag:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home