06 October 2007

Head Start

Penelope said, you must have read Bruce Chatwin? I hadn't. She told me that I really should read his ideas about our nomadic natures. My friend Kate had also pointed me to his book Songlines during my first urban camping trip. I haven't read him. I will.

After mentioning my urban camping in the article, Penelope wrote, "A state of near ceaseless traveling puts the couch surfer in a transnational zone, an idea dear to Pico Iyer, the travel writer and novelist who has been chewing over notions of home and nomadism for 25 years."

Her article was published three days after I started teaching a three-week university course in which we were asked to apply argumentation theory to Professor Jared Diamond's book Guns, Germs and Steel.

The author of this Pulitzer Prize winning book made a case for the geographically favorable environmental conditions of the past causing the differences between first and third world countries of the present.

People in regions with geographically favorable environmental conditions were able to make a switch, earlier than other regions, from nomadic hunter gatherer practices to sedentary agrarian societies.

The switch from nomad to farmer caused large interacting societies, which led to the development of technology, writing, immunization and organizing systems.

Societies that made the switch faster than others had the head start on today's balance of power.

2 Comments:

Blogger JuliusT said...

Hi Jen, I liked reading the article. I am planning to go to NY next spring and maybe I could interest Walter and Daan to do the surf. For sure I'll visit this bar in Union square. I looked for your photograph, but it's not in the internet aricle. But your link is. Did it result in many comments here?
Doeg,
Frank

Saturday, 27 October, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha...just came across your blog and spent almost half an hour reading through stuff. Entertainng stuff and I have got the travel bug again now.

-------
Sauna UK

Tuesday, 27 January, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home